Statement of Accessibility Commitment
The Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union is committed to achieving barrier free accessibility for our visitors, customers, members and employees. We are dedicated to accessibility within our recruitment and hiring processes and therefore offer accommodations throughout. Please contact Julie Dyck, Executive Administrator, if you require accommodations for any of our recruitment opportunities by e-mail email@example.com or phone 519-884-0710 extension 4080.
Human Resources Manager (12-16 month contract)
Incorporated in 1974, the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union is a progressive, fast paced and adaptable student driven organization. The Students’ Union represents, provides opportunities, and advocates for the interests of the 18,000+ undergraduate students at Wilfrid Laurier University. We are a not-for-profit, student governed association whose Mission is to provide the best student experience to our members on both the Waterloo and Brantford campuses.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Human Resources Manager position provides advice, counsel and strategic solutions to the Student Unions’ management team.
The Human Resources Manager provides exceptional value-added service in support of a diverse client group in understanding and assessing departmental needs to support optimal operation. This includes identification of issues, recommendation of changes as well as facilitation and resolution/implementation of specific HR issues/change. In addition, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for mentoring existing HR staff, exercising due diligence on behalf of the Students’ Union and providing sound and informed advice and recommendations that is consistent in interpretation and application of policies, procedures, employee handbooks, and employment legislation.
The Human Resources Manager is also responsible for guiding and developing recommendations on day-to-day activities around recruitment and selection, employee relations, performance management, contract administration and organizational change. As a member of the Student Unions’ multi-campus team, the incumbent will be accountable and take the lead on special projects and committees relating to broader Human Resources matters.
The role requires a high level of discretion and good judgement given the confidential nature of Human Resources information. The incumbent must demonstrate independence in problem solving given the frequency of inquiries from management and staff. Information must be accurate and timely requiring attention to detail and strong organizational skill.
POSITION LEVEL: Full-time, contract
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate to experience & qualifications
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
EDUCATION: University degree and/or college diploma in Human Resources Management; as well as a CHRL designation
- Minimum of 3 years progressive Human Resources experience including recruitment, employee relations and other key human resource functions (payroll experience an asset);
- Advanced knowledge of HR theory and practices (e.g., organizational design, job evaluation, recruitment and selection, organizational development, compensation and benefits);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to ensure the clarity of roles, accountabilities and expectations in all interactions;
- Proven ability to provide sound advice, guidance and facilitation on human resource matters;
- High level of professionalism, tact and discretion;
- Analytical approach to problem-solving including data analysis;
- Sound judgment, independent thinking and change management skills;
- Strong project management experience including possessing initiative and resourcefulness to lead project from conception to implementation;
- Knowledge of applicable legislation such as Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Act, Human Rights Code;
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail including the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet short deadlines;
TECHNICAL: Computer and presentation skills and prior knowledge of student associations are all an asset
CAMPUS: Based on Waterloo campus with multi-campus portfolio
CLOSING DATE: January 11, 2019 at noon
HOW TO APPLY: Before the closing date listed above, please send your cover letter and resume to Chris Turner, Director Finance and Administration, firstname.lastname@example.org, including in the subject line the position you’re applying for and your last name (ex. Human Resources Manager – Your Name)
Student Union Vice Presidents 2019-2020
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Vice President roles are focused on achieving the goals of each department within the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union, on both the Waterloo and Brantford campuses. The incumbents will be highly motivated to work in a fast-paced environment, be extremely well organized, detail oriented, have strong interpersonal skills and excellent time management skills.
The following positions are available:
Click on any of the above positions to view the full job description
POSITION LEVEL: Full-time, 12 month contract starting May 1st 2019 through to April 30th 2020
EDUCATION: Pursuing or completed a post-secondary degree at Wilfrid Laurier University
TIME COMMITMENT: Full-time position, with an expectation to work 40-44hrs a week
CLOSING DATE: Monday January 28th 2019 at noon
HOW TO APPLY: Click on this link, and follow the instructions within the Application Form to apply