The Students’ Union employs about 250 part-time staff during peak operation across both Brantford and Waterloo campuses. We operate Golden Grounds Coffee Pub, Williams Fresh Cafe and U-Desk in Brantford, as well as Wilf’s Restaurant & Bar, Turret Nightclub and U-Desk in Waterloo.
In addition, we hire over 1000 student volunteers to help us run our programming throughout the school year.
If you are interested in any of the above opportunities, check out the sections below to see what positions we currently have available. If you don’t see something that interests you now, be sure to check back frequently as we post positions at varying times throughout the year.
Interested in Volunteering?
To submit an application online, please visit our hiring site.
To learn more about the STARR hiring system, visit starr.yourstudentsunion.ca
Click Volunteer Hiring Procedural Manual to see our volunteer hiring manual.
If you have questions about a past application or performance as a volunteer please contact Courtney Collard, Vice President: Finance & Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a feedback meeting!
We’re looking for feedback on our hiring process, whether you’ve volunteered with us before or not! Share your feedback here.
The Students’ Union is committed to providing diverse and inclusive programming for all students. This includes hiring a diverse and representative group of volunteers. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified individuals of all genders, sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, and persons of a minority. In your application process, if you require an accommodation due to a disability please contact Courtney Collard, Vice President: Finance & Administration at email@example.com
Looking for Employment Opportunities?
Part-time opportunities hold hiring periods in December/January for the Winter Term, March/April for the following academic year, and in August/September for Fall Term. Resumes are accepted throughout the year and positions will be filled on an as-needed basis.
Full-time opportunities are posted when positions become available.
Click here to read our Paid Hiring Policies Procedures.
The Students’ Union is committed to providing diverse and inclusive programming for all students. This includes hiring a diverse and representative group of employees. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified individuals of all genders, sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, and persons of a minority. In your application process, if you require an accommodation due to a disability please contact Shawna Wey, Human Resources Generalist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finance & Administration Department
- Volunteer Opportunities are available on multiple levels through the Students’ Union- coordinators, executives, team leads and general volunteers.
- Positions can be found to meet varying goals and interests of students.
- Opportunities provide experiential learning, professional and personal development, social interaction, and volunteer perks to those that pursue them.
- All volunteer positions are hired by the student-run Hiring and Recruitment committee using a standardized application format called STARR.
- STARR removes hiring bias and subjectivity in order to offer equal opportunities for success to all students.
- STARR is a behavioural based question format where students outline the situation, task, actions, result and relatability of a scenario they see fit to answer a question. Students are thereby able to use past experiences to back up their aptitude for the given role through their answers.
- STARR is a format used in similar capacities by many employers, which means volunteers learn skills that serve them in future when looking for careers outside of the Laurier community as well.
- Training opportunities and professional development are offered consistently throughout the year which gives volunteers opportunities to seek out opportunities to learn and develop skills.
- Volunteering is recorded on the Co-Curricular record which can be used to supplement future applications to further education as well as employment opportunities.
- Volunteers are encouraged to step up into leadership positions which further enhance their student experience as they develop strong leadership and management skills that will serve them at Laurier and beyond.
- Laurier is a leader in volunteerism and was ranked #1 in the world thanks to a strong involvement of students on campus as well as a renowned volunteer culture!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When to volunteer opportunities open for hiring?
A: There are generally 3 hiring periods- one in the summer (June), one in the Fall (September), and one in the Winter (Feb-March). Both summer and Winter hiring are generally open to fill positions which will begin in September of that year.
However, if any of our committees are low on volunteers, hiring can reopen as frequently and as many times as we see fit. So keep an eye on the hiring site and our social media pages because there may be a position open for you even if it is outside of the regular hiring periods.
Q:How do I apply for volunteer positions?
A: Position postings can be found at hiring.yourstudentsunion.ca and all applications are to be submitted through this website as well by clicking on the position you wish to apply for.
Q: Do I need to submit a resume with my application?
A: Most positions do not require resumes, any that do will indicate so on the job posting.
Q: What is STARR?
A: You can find a STARR crash course at starr.yourstudentsunion.ca
Q: What is the time commitment for volunteering?
A: There are varying levels of commitment for each committee which allow for different amounts of responsibility and time, so you can apply for the one that best suits you!